- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1egg, separated
- 7/8 cup buttermilk ( 1 cup milk and 1tbsp lemon juice)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Heat waffle iron. Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. Whisk yolk with buttermilk and butter.
- Beat egg white until it just holds a 2 inch peak.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients in a thin steady stream while gently mixing with a rubber spatula; be careful not to add liquid faster than you can incorporate it. Toward end of mixing,use a folding motion to incorporate ingredients; gently fold egg white into batter.
- Spread appropriate amount of batter onto waffle iron. Cook waffle until golden brown, 2 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
(Though you can keep waffles warm on a wire rack in a warm oven for up to 10 minutes,if you prefer a super crispy waffle.)