- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup white sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. Mix flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a small bowl.
3. Beat butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until smooth; stir in egg and vanilla extract. Gradually blend flour mixture into butter mixture. Roll dough into walnut-sized balls and toss in 1/4 cup sugar; place 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
4. Bake in preheated oven until golden, 8 to 9 minutes. Let stand on cookie sheet 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool.