Recipe by Priti Singh
- 3 Large Apples
- 1/2 teaspoon Ghee (add more if required)
- 2 tablespoon Sugar
- A Pinch Yellow Food Color
- 1 teaspoon Melon Seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Fresh Cardamom Powder
- Wash, peel, core and grate apples over a bowl of water so while grating apple falls on water, it helps from apple changing color.
- Heat ghee in a kadai/wok and add grated apple (squeeze well to remove all the water before adding into kadai) and fry in medium flame until apple changes color and gets cooked around 3-4 mins, do regular stirring.
- Once apple gets almost cooked and changes the color a bit then add sugar and mix well, cook until halwa becomes dry, keep stirring.
- Now add food color or saffron soaked in milk and mix well to combine, cook again for 2-3 mins with regular stirring or until ghee starts to separate and halwa doesn't stick to wok any more or halwa leaves sides of wok.
- Add cardamom powder, melon seeds and mix well, off flame. Serve hot or warm.
- Notes: You can add more ghee if you prefer, but 1/2 tsp ghee just works fine for 3 apples. You can replace food color with pinch of saffron soaked in 1 tbsp warm milk to get good color. You can add more sugar if you wish, it depends on sourness of apple I used less than 2 tbsp and it was just right for us.