- 250 grams Kangkong (water spinach)
- 3 Dried Chillies (soak in warm water till soft (about 1 hour), drain, discard water)
- 1 tablespoon Dried prawns (soak in 1 tbsp water till soft (about ½ hour))
- 1 Red Chilli
- 2 Bird’s Eye Chilli
- 3 Shallots
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Belachan (toast till fragrant)
- 2 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Sugar
- Trim and discard roots of kangkong. Wash, then break thicker stems by pressing with fingers. Chop into 8-cm (3-inch) pieces. Set aside to drain.
- Wash, peel and roughly chop sambal ingredients as appropriate. Drain dried prawns, setting aside the water. Blend or pound everything into a fine paste. Have a taste and add more chillies if you like.
- In a very hot wok, stir-fry sambal in vegetable oil over high heat till fragrant. Add salt and sugar. Stir through. Taste and if necessary adjust seasoning.
- Add kangkong and stir-fry till just wilted, 30 seconds or so, drizzling with the water for soaking dried prawns towards the end.
- Taste again and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Plate and serve immediately.
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 10 min
- Ready in: 20 min
- 3 Adults