- 200 Gram Jasmine Rice (cooked)
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 Garlic Clove (peeled and crushed)
- 2 Eggs (beaten)
- 2 teaspoon Kecap Manis
- 2 teaspoon Soy Sauce
- 4 Spring Onions
- 1 Bird’s Eye Chilli (sliced, to serve)
For The Paste
- 50 Gram Shallots (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 Garlic Clove (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 2 teaspoon Indonesian Shrimp Paste (Terasi)
- 1 Red Chilli (deseeded)
- Fried eggs
- Sliced Cucumber or Tomatoes
- Lightly Blanched Vegetables
- Cooked Meat or Seafood
- Crispy Shallots
- Salted Peanuts
- Put the rice in a pan with 400ml boiling water. Stir once, bring to a simmer, then cover and turn the heat right down.
- Cook for 15 minutes, then take off the heat and leave on a damp tea towel or cloth for five minutes with the lid off. Fork through to fluff up, then spread on a baking tray and refrigerate, overnight if possible.
- Put all the ingredients for the paste in a small blender or mortar and whizz or pound until fairly smooth. Heat the oil in a wok over a high heat, then fry the garlic until golden, not brown, then pour in the eggs, leave to cook until half set, then break up. Carry on frying the egg until it’s just beginning to brown, then tip in the spice paste and cook for a minute or so.
- Add the rice by hand, breaking up any clumps as you go, and fry until heated through, then stir in the kecap manis, soy sauce, spring onion and chilli.
- Fry, stirring, for another minute or so, then taste and season as necessary. Divide between plates and top with whatever you’ve chosen from the list above. Eat immediately.