- 1 Cup Gram Flour (Besan)
- Spinach, Cauliflower, Potatoes (cut into bite size)
- 3/4 teaspoon Carom seeds (ajwain)
- 1/2 Medium Onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tablespoon Turmeric powder
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli
- Baking soda a pinch
- Oil (for deep-frying)
- 1 1/2 Cup Yogurt (Sour)
- 4 tablespoon Gram Flour (Besan)
- 1 tablespoon Ginger-Garlic-Green Chilli Paste
- 5-6 Garlic cloves
- 5 Black Peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- Asafoetida a pinch
- 1/2 tablespoon Ginger (chopped)
- 4 Dried Red Chillies (broken)
- 1 Medium Onion (sliced)
- To make pakoras, combine spinach leaves, cauliflower and potatoes,carom seeds, onion, gram flour, ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, salt, ½ teaspoon red chilli powder and baking soda in a bowl. Mix well using sufficient water to make a soft mixture.
- Heat sufficient oil in a kadai. Drop small portions of gram flour mixture into the hot oil and deep-fry till golden. Drain on absorbent paper and set aside.
- To make kadhi, combine yogurt, gram flour, ginger-garlic-green chilli paste, remaining red chilli powder, remaining turmeric powder and salt in a bowl. Add 500 ml water and whisk well. Add 500 ml water and whisk again.
- Heat oil in a deep non-stick pan, add cloves, peppercorns, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and sauté for a minute.
- Add asafoetida, chopped ginger and red chillies, mix and sauté.
- Add onion and sauté till the onion Mix well and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Whisk the yogurt mixture and add to the pan. Stir to mix and cook for 16-18 minutes, stirring continuously so that there are no lumps.
- Place pakoras in a serving dish and pour the kadhi on top. Serve hot with rotis or rice.