You can change the ingredients whether you want it to be veg/non veg
Thai Spring Rolls (Veg/Non Veg)
- 3 Garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 Galangal (Blue Ginger) or Ginger (thumb-size piece, grated)
- 2 Green Onions (sliced into matchstick pieces)
- 1 Red Chili (minced OR 1/2 to 1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper - omit if you prefer very mild spring rolls)
- 1/2 Cup Cabbage (shredded or finely chopped)
- 4-6 Shiitake Mushrooms (cut into matchstick pieces)
- 1/2 Cup Medium to Firm Tofu (sliced into matchstick pieces - If non-vegetarian: add 1/2 cup cooked baby shrimp)
- 2 Cup Bean Sprouts
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Coriander (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Basil (roughly chopped)
- 2 tablespoon Oil (plus more for deep-fry)
- 1 Packet Spring Roll Wrappers (thawed if frozen)
- 2 tablespoon Regular Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Fish Sauce (OR vegetarian stir-fry sauce (I like Lee Kum Kee brand))
- 2 tablespoon Lime Juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Sugar
Thai Chilli Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Rice Vinegar (or substitute white vinegar)
- 1/2 Cup White Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 3 tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Sherry (or cooking sherry)
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon Dried Crushed Chili (1 Tbsp. makes spicy-hot sauce)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Cornstarch (dissolved in 3-4 Tbsp. cool water)
Thai Spring Rolls (Veg / Non Veg)
- Place 2 Tbsp. oil in a wok or large frying pan over medium to high heat. Add garlic, galangal (or ginger), green onion, and chili. Stir-fry until fragrant (about 1 minute). Stir-frying Tip: Add a little water to the wok/pan when it gets too dry instead of more oil.
- Add cabbage, mushrooms, and tofu (or shrimp). As you stir-fry, add the sauce. Stir-fry 1-2 minutes, until vegetables have softened. Remove from heat and add bean sprouts, tossing to mix in. Then do a taste test for salt, adding a little more fish or soy sauce if not flavorful enough.
- To assemble rolls, lay spring roll wrappers on a clean working surface. Place one heaping Tbsp. of filling on each wrapper (if using large wrappers, you will need more). Spread filling along the width of the spring roll wrapper – you’ll want to do this 2/3 of the way down, closer to you so you have room to roll it. Try not to include too much of the liquid left from the wok/pan (a slotted spoon works well for this).
- Sprinkle some of the fresh coriander and basil over the filling. Then fold the left and right sides of wrapper over filling. Lift up the end nearest you and tuck over, rolling upwards. Secure by dipping your fingers in some water and wetting the end, “pasting” it shut.
- To fry spring rolls, place some oil (about 1 inch deep) in a wok or deep-sided frying pan over medium-high heat. When oil begins to form snake-like lines across the bottom of the pan, the oil is starting to heat up. To test it, dip one corner of a spring roll into the oil. If it begins to sizzle and cook, the oil is ready.
- Using tongs, place spring rolls in oil, allowing them to fry about 1 minute on each side. Spring rolls are done when they turn light to medium golden-brown (see photo). Place on paper towels (or a clean dish towel) to drain while you finish frying the rest.
- Serve spring rolls while still hot with Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
Thai Chilli Sauce
- Place all ingredients – except the cornstarch-water mixture – in a sauce pan or pot. Bring to a rolling boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and let boil for 10 minutes, or until reduced by half. (Note that the vinegar will be quite pungent as it burns off. Generally, I find rice vinegar less strong than regular white vinegar).
- Reduce heat to low and add the cornstarch-water mixture. Stir to incorporate and continue stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens (about 2 minutes).
- Remove from heat and taste-test. You should taste “sweet” first, followed by sour, then spicy and salty notes. If the sauce isn’t sweet enough, add a little more sugar. If not spicy enough, add more chili.
- Pour sauce into a small bowl or jar and serve as a condiment with chicken, fish, and seafood, or as a dip with finger foods such as chicken wings, shrimp, or spring rolls. Also makes an excellent marinade for grilled chicken, fish, or seafood.
- Preparation: 35 min
- Cooking: 10 min
- Ready in: 45 min
- 12 Spring Rolls