This recipe was shared by someone in my previous blog
- 2-4 Ripe Tomatoes (washed and finely chopped)
- 1-2 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 1-2 Red Chilies (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Methi (Fenugreek Seeds)
- 1 teaspoon Saunf (Fennel Seeds)
- 2-3 tablespoons Vinegar
- 1-2 Bay Leaf
- 1-2 Cloves
- 1-2 teaspoons Jaggery (Gur)
- 1/2 Cup Water
- Wash and finely chop 2-4 ripe tomatoes. Set aside. In a frying pan, heat the oil. Add fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds and red chilies. Fry for 1-2 minutes or until they turn brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes and a little salt to taste. Cook over medium heat till the oil starts to ooze out from the sides.
- Add about 1/2 cup of water and continue cooking. Cook over low heat till tomatoes cook properly and turns mushy.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, add vinegar, bay leaves and cloves. Cook over low heat till the vinegar has reduced by half.
- When the tomatoes are cooked properly, add the vinegar mixture to the tomato mixture. Add the jaggery. Mix and cook over low heat till it achieves the consistency of chutney. Adjust salt and jaggery if required.
- Serve this chutney with dosa, paratha or snacks.